Targeted Poverty Alleviation for Better Life In the Lancang-Mekong Region: Sharing Experiences
In the last three decades, the economies of Cambodia, P.R. China, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, and Vietnam have become one of the fastest growing in the world, contributing to higher per capita income and an improved standard of living for majority of their people.
The protracted pandemic places these gains at risk. Connective market-based systems were stalled as supply chains and consumer demands were disrupted. These compounded conditions of the marginalized and gave rise to a new urban demographic gravely impacted by massive unemployment and loss of livelihood.
As governments continue to mitigate impacts of COVID-19 in varying degrees, innovative and integrated structural approaches encompassing a “whole-of-society” approach will need to be embedded into longer-term strategies to circumvent deeper socioeconomic contractions.
As such, the project aims to strengthen poverty alleviation initiatives in the region. Through workshops, trainings, and solution-finding dialogues, Mekong Institute (MI) will source tested policies, strategies, and interventions to help Lancang-Mekong nationals reduce vulnerabilities and bridge social divides under the prism of a global health crisis.
MI will also leverage its expertise and networks to advocate intersectoral exchanges among governments, business groups, academe, and non-government organizations to contribute in broadening access to social services, increasing opportunities for job creation, and diversifying business enterprises for the resilient and inclusive recovery of the region.
- Promote pandemic responsive policies, strategies, and interventions to safeguard poverty alleviation gains
- Foster public-private collaboration for more effective and integrated poverty alleviation programs
- Experts’ Consultation Workshop
- Analyze socioeconomic impacts of COVID-19 and leverage opportunities for sustainable poverty alleviation initiatives
- Advocate effective poverty alleviation policies, strategies, and interventions
- Capacity Development Training
- Enhance capacities of government, academic, business, and non-government organization representatives to develop and implement multidimensional policies and poverty alleviation programs